Almost A Decade Later: Our Clean World Initiative
We embrace sustainability -- not as a buzzword or fad -- but as a fundamental value that we strive to embed into all aspects of our business. When we launched the Clean World Initiative (CWI) in 2007, we set out to “make Covanta-generated Energy-from-Waste (EfW) the cleanest and most reliable source of energy available in the world, with the lowest overall impact on our environment.”
CWI principles include:
- Invest in the research and development of new technologies to enhance existing operations and create new business opportunities.
- Explore and implement processes and technologies to improve efficiency, minimize environmental impacts and enhance safety and health performance.
- Add complementary services to augment existing processes and improve the local environmental profile of our operations.
- Partner with governments and non-governmental organizations to pursue sustainable programs, reduce the use of environmentally-harmful materials in commerce and communicate the benefits of EfW.
Here’s just a snapshot of what we’ve accomplished thus far:
- Maintained world-class reliability, with one of the highest boiler availability rates in the power-generating industry
- Cut dioxin, mercury and hydrogen chloride emissions by more than 50 percent
- Diverted more than 2,000 pounds of mercury from the waste stream through our mercury collection programs
- Over 2 million pounds of marine debris and derelict fishing gear safely collected, recycled and disposed
- Safely destroyed approximately three million pounds of expired or unwanted prescriptions
- Enhanced metals recycling with innovative technology to collect over 500,000 tons of metal (steel, aluminum, copper, etc.)
Sustainability is our responsibility and our livelihood. By creating clean, sustainable waste management solutions, and in the process recovering clean, renewable electricity to power our homes and businesses, we are fulfilling our mission of delivering tangible results from which everyone can benefit.