Healthcare providers may find themselves faced with a recurring dilemma: a growing supply of pharmaceutical waste without a clear, safe means of disposal.
Over time, pharmaceutical waste builds up. Whether it's due to recalls, substance expirations or other undesirable qualities, the problem remains the same--it needs somewhere to go. We offer easy, affordable options starting at just $99 with no contracts or hidden fees.
A Safe and Simple Solution
If you are a healthcare practitioner or DEA registrant, that "place to go" is to a registered Reverse Distributor.
Reverse Distributors ensure the secure destruction of controlled (Schedule II-V) and non-controlled (Rx and OTC) pharmaceutical waste to prevent such substances from reentering a community or contaminating the environment, so choosing one with the right experience and infrastructure is paramount.
Covanta Offers a Nationwide DEA Registered Reverse Distributor Network
Covanta Environmental Solutions can assist with our simple, cost-effective process that helps healthcare practitioners (doctors, dentists and veterinarians) and DEA-registrants comply with DEA rules and regulations.
As a nationwide DEA registered reverse distributor with over 25 years of experience in pharmaceutical waste management and destruction, we strictly follow and adhere to the regulations (Title 21, Code of Federal Regulations, Part 1317) and provide our guidance so they can do the same. Our customers enjoy hassle-free solutions to small and large-scale drug disposal.
This convenient and affordable solution helps your facility stay in full compliance with DEA regulations and avoid corrective actions, fines and missteps. Whether you need to destroy a small quantity of one medication or a larger number of multiple pharmaceuticals, we'll provide the support and solution that works for you. We offer three different box sizes to choose from. There are no contracts, hidden fees or upfront payments.
Failing Compliance Can Be Costly-Let the Experts Reduce Your Risk
Unmanaged pharmaceutical waste is under increased scrutiny by government regulators, making DEA compliance more important than ever before. Failure to comply with federal regulations when engaging in medication disposal and handling can result in fines, from $10,000 to $10 million. Reduce your risk and get the expert help your staff needs to optimize your pharmaceutical waste management.
Covanta Environmental Solutions will help guard against:
- Potential Theft or Abuse. Lingering pharmaceuticals, from pills to tranquilizers, are subject to misuse and abuse if they fall into the wrong hands.
- Environmental Risk. Flushing pharmaceutical waste down the toilet or moving it to a landfill are detrimental methods for medication disposal as they can impact fresh drinking water, harming human health and aquatic life.
- Inappropriate Disposal. Discarding unwanted pharmaceuticals with Sharps or other unregulated medical waste doesn’t assure destruction or adhere to proper DEA regulations.
- Non-Compliance. Improper drug disposal and unaccounted-for controlled inventory may lead to punitive action or fines that could impact your bottom line and hurt your ability to provide care.
Simple Security and Affordable Service
Ensuring compliance shouldn't be confusing, practicing safety shouldn't be difficult, but both should be affordable.
No matter where you’re located, you can safely and securely dispose of controlled and non-controlled pharmaceutical waste using our Flat Rate Box mail-in service. This easy, affordable solution will help you stay in full compliance with DEA regulations and avoid corrective action, potential fines and missteps:
- Ongoing service and support – just a phone call away
- Closed loop process provides proper handling from acquisition to assured destruction
- Minimal opportunity for diversion with maximum peace of mind and compliance
- Proprietary Energy-from-Waste process creates clean, renewable energy
- Scalable service to meet your needs
- No up-front payment or contracts
- Prices start at just $99
We Have the Expertise
Our Flat Rate Box mail-in services are an easy, cost-effective way for controlled and non-controlled substance disposal. To remove any trace of uncertainty, at Covanta Environmental Solutions, we walk our customers through the entire process from beginning to end, but the first step starts with you.
Get Started Today
You can find all the forms you'll need in the Quick Start Toolkit section of this page. If you have any questions, or need some additional help getting started:
Forms to get signed up are located on the right-hand side of this page as part of the Quick Start Toolkit for your convenience.
- Fill out the Customer Verification Form completely and the optional credit application
- Gather all copies of your DEA Registration and State Licensure
- Send the completed Customer Verification Form, optional credit application and all Licenses to us via Fax: 480-659-2353 or email: CEShealthcare@covanta.com
- We will contact you to confirm your information has been validated and your account is active
- We will have a variety pack of USPS Flat Rate Boxes delivered to your facility (please allow 7-10 business days for delivery). If you need them faster, they are available at your local Post Office at no charge.
All the forms you may need are located on the right-hand side of this page as part of the Quick Start Toolkit for your convenience.
- Pull all expired or unused pharmaceuticals from your inventory including CII-CV, Rx Only and OTC
- Inventory all substances and record on the appropriate Inventory Form. Forms are included on the right-hand area of this page
- Email or fax all inventory forms to receive authorization to ship: CEShealthcare@covanta.com or fax 480-659-2353
- If you have CII substances, we will prepare a DEA Form 222 which you must receive before you ship any CII substances. We recommend contacting our staff the first time you have CII to send.
- Make a copy of all inventory forms and DEA 222 Request Forms (One for your personal files and one for the box)
- Pack all inventoried substances in your USPS Flat Rate Box (official USPS box must be used)
- Wrap all liquids in cushioning material and place in a zip top bag to avoid leaks
- Segregate all CII by placing them in a zip top bag – mark with CII on bag
- Place one copy of the completed inventory forms in the box and keep one copy for your records.
- Contact us and request a shipping label (please indicate box size(es) used)
- We will send you the USPS Priority Mail label(s) via email or fax
- Seal the box securely
- Place the USPS Priority Mail label on the outside of the box
- Drop at your nearest Post Office or give to your Mail Carrier
Transfer of Inventory Reports are supplied once inventory has been verified
Quick Start Toolkit
Options start at just $99
First Time Customers
*Note: You will need to provide a copy of your DEA Registration and State Licensure Materials
- Credit Card Authorization Form
- Inventory - Schedule I-II - Request for DEA Form 222
- Inventory - Schedule III-V
- Inventory - Non-Scheduled
- Inventory - Compound - Non-Scheduled
- Inventory - Compound - CIII-V
Fax items to 480-659-2353
Serving many facilities in the United States and Canada that need safe, reliable and compliant Pharmaceutical waste disposal services.
- Physician Offices
- Nursing Homes
- Dialysis Centers
- Dental Offices
- Veterinary Clinics
- Funeral Homes